So frequent readers of my blog (Hi Mom!) will remember my sumo robot competition coming up. The competition came and went and this is what happened. Last post I commented that if I had it to redo my sumo board again I would choose another motor driver IC. I spoke too loudly and Murphy heard me. After one failed repair job and one failed protoboard bot I finally got something working using the Teensy 2 and the TB6612FNG.
Where did I mess up on the custom board?
I’m not entirely sure. I had a few board level problems and a few IC troubles. First is the board it’s self, when you look at the schematics be sure to note that on the L298 I have the motor voltage and logic voltage mixed up. I pulled the pins out and soldered wires connecting to the correct spots like so.
Whats odd is before I did this one motor only worked in reverse and one worked well. After this nothing worked. I measured the current draw from the IC when the motors should be moving and got nothing out of it at all. The deadline was moving closer and I still had to finish the program logic so I decided to just build one on protoboard. So now I have two nice $50 coasters and one “art”. At least until I fix it.
It was also my first go at a big board like this and ended up getting some components way too close to each other. 3D view might have helped in this case.
I named my robot Plan F because if this last ditch resort didn’t work, I’d get an F. Here it is with the chips and with out.
The board is really just a mother board or signal card. I wanted to reuse the Teensy or the motor control IC later so I stuck them on some headers.
I have no idea what the rating for the motors is I just used a 9volt and made my base from 1/8th inch aluminum with a plexiglass top plate to set the brains on. I did fairly well with my little sumo. First place in the smart robot portion and third over all. I even went up against some of the heavy weight bots and did fairly well. I didn’t win simply because they have so much more weight than me.
Files and etc.